This week has been full of not so great for you treats.
But life can be tough… and sometimes the best comfort food you can offer up are the sweets you don’t usually indulge in.
Just like yesterday’s oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, I used all organic ingredients. So, I didn’t actually use Oreos… which is no surprise if you’ve been reading this blog for awhile.
Of course my 3 year old approved these cupcakes, but so did the family we brought them to!
What I used: (Yields 12 cupcakes)
- 1 package organic chocolate cake mix (I usually make my own using Barefoot Contessa’s fantastic recipe)
- 8 oz. heavy cream
- 4 oz. cream cheese (completely softened)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 8 Oreos crushed (I used Newman-O’s)
- muffin pan and liners
What to do:
- Follow instructions on your cake mix package to make cupcakes. Mine called for 1/2 cup vegetable oil, which I substituted with melted coconut oil.)
- While your cupcakes are cooling, combine heavy cream and cream cheese in a bowl to make the frosting. Using an electric mixer, beat together until stiff peaks form. Slowly add vanilla and powdered sugar until combined. Do a taste test to make sure you are happy with the sweetness. You can always add a little more powdered sugar.
- Spread the frosting on the cupcakes and then top with crushed “Oreos”.