This week my crock pot has been on stun making four big batches of broth. Typically when this happens we have chicken and rice soup, but after having lunch at a friend’s house I thought I’d change it up.
She made some delicious tortilla soup, and considering how much I love mexican food… I thought I’d make some myself.
Nourishing Torilla Soup
Serves 8 Cooking time: 2 hours
What you need:
8 cups chicken broth
4 cups water
1-2 cups shredded chicken
1 package taco seasoning
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 tomatoes, diced
2 carrots, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 large bunch cilantro, chopped
1-2 cups cooked black beans
1 cup corn
For garnish: tortilla strips, avocado, tomato, cilantro, green onion, sour cream, cheddar cheese. (use any or all)
What to do:
- In a large pot, combine broth, water, chicken, taco seasoning, onion, tomatoes, carrots and green pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then lower heat to medium-low and let simmer for 90 minutes (a little more or less time would be just fine.)
- After 90 minutes, add in cilantro, beans, corn and the juice of 1 big lime.
- Let simmer for another 20 minutes and serve.
- Ladle soup into bowls and add whatever garnishes you like… the more the merrier.
Because the above picture doesn’t showcase how vegetable packed this recipe is, I wanted to share this picture of the soup as I pulled it out of the refrigerator for lunch today.
Considering I used homemade broth and all organic ingredients (more on that HERE), this recipe is not only tasty but nourishing too!