I heard on the news this morning that Americans will eat more than 150 million hot dogs today.
Which is a lot of hot dogs.
And I’m hoping that if you’re eating hot dogs, they are made with beef raised with no added hormones or antibiotics, from cows that ate a vegetarian diet. Uncured, unpreserved and that have no nitrates or nitrites added. (Applegate Farms makes a good one. And so does Painted Hills Natural Beef.)
But don’t stress about it.
One day …
One hot dog …
Today’s a day to think “Big Picture,” like our forefathers did 🙂
And for those of us not eating hot dogs today, or for those of us looking for last-minute inspiration for something nourishing and tasty to bring to the family cookout, here are a few ideas culled from our archives and the archives of our favorite real food bloggers …
- Paleo BBQ sauce for your favorite BBQ chicken or pork recipe from The Paleo Cupboard (like maybe Abby’s BBQ chicken pizza?)
- Balsamic Grilled Summer Veggies from Naturally Nourishing
- Sweet & Spicy Mango Fajitas from Oh My Veggies
SIDES & SALADS
- Probiotic Gummy Bears
- Paleo Yam Brownie’s
- Deep Dark Chocolate Tart from The Nourishing Gourmet
- Apple Tart
- Paleo raspberry cream soda from The Nourishing Gourmet
- Perfect Iced Coffee from The Pioneer Woman (who isn’t necessarily a “real food” blogger, but her recipes are often super tasty and easy to trade out with “real food” ingredients)
- Raw Honey Lemonade from Organic Spark
- Spicy Maple Lemonade from Babble.com