Does anything remind you of a cookout more than a sweet and spicy cabbage salad?
A little tangy.
A little sweet.
Add a little heat (from the jalapeño, because a little heat will help cool you on a hot day, dontcha know?).
It is all at once refreshing and stands on a mountaintop and screams “SUUUUUMMMMMERRRR!!!!!!”"
- 1 head of green cabbage (shredded)
- 2 bunches of green onion (finely chopped)
- 1 red pepper (finely chopped)
- 1/2 jalapeño (very finely chopped) – use a whole one for more heat, or don’t use at all if spicy isn’t your thing
- 2 pink lady apples (chopped)
for the dressing:
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Shred the cabbage, chop the onions, red pepper, jalapeño and apples and toss in a large bowl. I use Pink Lady apples because they are both tart and sweet and their texture is nice and crisp. Green apples would also work. Or Fuji. It’s really up to you
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, honey, salt and pepper.
Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to combine.
And you can either serve immediately, or let it rest in the fridge until you need up (up to a day in advance) and all the flavors will get deeper and more complex.
Also, for an added bit of awesome, you could add a bunch of chopped Cilantro right before serving. We just didn’t have any this time.